Tuesday, December 15, 2020

The RK Sushi Experi-ment/ence

When I heard that Rice Krispie sushi could be a thing, or was a thing, I thought of the delight in my grandkids’ eyes when they would
see it. Just three ingredients—Fruit Roll-Up, Rice Krispie cake mixture, and a gummy worm centre. This idea is not original—let’s dispel any rumours of creativity—but I can’t remember where I first saw it or who might have mentioned the possibility. I checked online for tips on the process. Okay, not exhaustively. Still, the results weren’t encouraging—the closest anyone came to my vision was a Rice Krispie cake rolled around gummy worms that stretched along one edge, like a jelly roll, then cut in bite-sized sushi pieces, only then to be wrapped in a length of Fruit By The Foot.

 Not good enough. I wanted an authentic roll-up experience, with the Fruit Roll-Up integrated into the “sushi” roll. With no process to follow, I decided to trust my ideas, and to rely on the accumulated wisdom of more than forty years of experience with food. I wasn’t discounting, either, the knowledge gleaned from Food Network. With Rice Krispies languishing on the counter in the downstairs kitchen, marshmallows leftover from summer camping propped beside them, the reminders were omnipresent, if not all the raw materials. 

It seems audacious to say that the planets aligned for Rice Krispie sushi-roll making. Given the pandemic and the political chaos south of the border, the metaphor seems too grand. Let’s say instead that the tumblers fell together at the grocery story (logical) in the transformed bulk bin aisle (unexpected). As I searched for almonds, bags of gummy worms beckoned at eye level. Well. It was a sign. Next, the Fruit Roll-Ups. They still do exist, both in sheets and by the foot. I wasn’t sure, so much time having elapsed since I used to buy the strips to teach simple, compound, and complex sentences to middle years students. Time to head to the til. 

The biggest, challenge, I imagined, was keeping the Rice Krispie batter malleable enough to spread on a sheet of fruit roll-up. What about working on my warming tray covered with parchment paper? 
I would also keep the equipment and materials at the ready: a flat spatula, a cake server, a spoon, and a knife in a tall glass of water; the gummy worms; and the sushi rolls still in the wrapper with the top snipped. Further down that kitchen counter, parchment paper on a cookie sheet would act as the receiving blanket for the newborn sushi rolls. With everything in place, I prepared the Rice Krispie cake and prepared to work as quickly as I could. 

With the Rice Krispie mixture on the stove in stasis on low, I began. Warming tray set on low too, I unwrapped a sheet of Fruit Roll-Up on the parchment paper. As I began to spread some Rice Krispie mixture on top, the Fruit Roll-up sheet disintegrated in the heat. Warming tray maybe not such a good idea. The flopped roll was good, though. Gummy worms are one of my guilty pleasures.

 Round 2. This time, I spread the fruit roll-up sheet directly on the parchment. I spread the Rice Krispie mixture on top with a wet spoon to prevent sticking, and flattened it with the wet cake server. When the sheet was mostly covered, I stretched out a gummy worm (one gummy worm, stretched a little, was perfect), and began to roll with the parchment as leverage. The result: a reasonable looking sushi roll. Still using the parchment paper, I massaged the sushi roll, and molded it to a more streamlined shape. It took its place on the incubator.

Round 3. I was on a roll now. Same procedure, but this time, I used the cake server to flatten the cake mixture as much as I could, much like one would pound a chicken breast or pork cutlet to make schnitzel. Rolling up was much easier this time, and the appearance of the final product had improved dramatically.

My takeaways from this process: 
Fun project! 
Parchment paper is the secret weapon. Nothing sticks. 
I didn’t have to work quite as fast as I had first thought. The Rice Krispie mixture did stay soft in the pan. There was some caramelization, though, of the marshmallow as a result of the prolonged heat, even on low. The cake I made with the leftover mixture had a much deeper flavor than usual. Next time, I might try a hot water bath. The sushi rolls are extremely sweet. One bite goes a very long way. Delicious, though, and soft enough to chew easily. 
I made only five rolls, counting one failed attempt. Two I sliced for the taste test and photo. Two are in the freezer. In the end, the experiment resulted in a delightful experience. Interesting, isn’t it, that both these words, experiment and experience, originate in the same Latin root: "they both come from the word experior, which means, to gain knowledge through repeated trials." To gain knowledge from trying over and over again. In fact, the French word for experiment is indeed expérience! So, in every sense of the word, my experiment did indeed culminate in a satisfying and delicious experience!




 For more information on the etymology of experience and experiment, see Kyle Kowalski and a podcast by Dr. Andrew Weil.

2 comments:

  1. I am wondering if you tried to freeze the sushi rolls? I am afraid the fruit roll-ups and/or the Rice Krispies would get soggy when you thaw them to eat. Just trying to save time ahead of the big day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have frozen the sushi rolls but I haven't thawed them. I'm wondering if you would even need to freeze them so close to Christmas. I wrapped mine separately in plastic like a sausage or New Year noisemaker. That might be enough. After all, there's nothing in them that can mold or spoil. It's just a question of softness but not mushiness. I was looking at long term preservation, about six weeks, so I opted to freeze. Now, my grandkids won't be coming, so they'll be in the freezer for a while. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete