Saturday, April 7, 2018

Nightmare

I’m not a hockey mom.  I’m not even a hockey fan.  Although I live in a hockey town, I don’t need all my fingers to count the number of hockey games I have attended in my community.

Yet since last night when I heard that a tractor-trailer had T-boned the team bus of the Humboldt Broncos on its way to a playoff game in Nipawin, leaving 15 people dead and 14 others wounded in body and soul, I can think of nothing else.  I haven’t read anything unrelated to the crash.  I haven’t watched anything unrelated to the crash.  I’ve checked Twitter repeatedly for updates. 

Since then, I process in images:

·  the fifty + passenger school bus I rode for twelve years to school, fifteen miles (in those days, miles not kilometres) from my home.    Three students to a seat, mostly, overhead racks stuffed with lunch boxes, books, and school bags.   Gravel roads, on the good days; snow and ice in the winter; clay gumbo for the mile or so off-road in a downpour to a farmhouse on the way to school.  I can still feel the back end of the bus sliding across muck, and the entire vehicle tilt sideways on two wheels on the way into the ditch;

·  my children’s faces as they boarded buses bound for Yorkton, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Idaho, Spearfish, various ski resorts, for band festivals, school sports teams, or school excursions;

·  the lists of names on the emergency contact information papers I carried with me as a teacher-supervisor on school trips in my analog teacher days;

·  my hockey-player students bleary-eyed after an away game and a late (or early, depending on your viewpoint) return;

·  debris strewn across a lonely interesection in northeast Saskatchewan.

"'The worst nightmare has happened,'" Bill Chow, president of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League, said today. 

I’m not part of the hockey family, and I don’t know the hockey culture.  But I’m  a parent.  I know Saskatchewan.  And I know buses.  The heaviness in my heart will be there for a long time.  I grieve with the city, the province, and the country.  To the devastated families and friends of the deceased, the critically injured, and the survivors, I mourn with you even if I can’t fathom your pain.  To the first-responders and the medical teams, thank you for your courage and your skill; take care as you process this tragedy.


My heart goes out to all whose lives this tragic event has forever altered.  

5 comments:

  1. You have captured the essence of the tragedy.You are a parent.You know Saskatchewan.You know buses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't any words in situations like this. Neither consolation nor comfort are even possible. This is my way of processing. Thanks for reading, and thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  2. Heavy, heavy hearts across the nation for all who have been affected including the driver of the tractor trailer. So much sadness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. For sure--and sadness that will endure. It's important to remember the driver of the tractor trailer, who numbers among those whose lives are forever altered.

      Delete