Friday, December 23, 2016

Dots

All through the last year, during the election campaign in the USA, and especially after November 8, I have struggled, as readers will know,  to understand how anyone could support a misanthropic, narcissistic candidate so obviously unqualified to lead a country.  How could people be duped into thinking Trump would have the back of working class America, even of working class white America?  How could people have so little astuteness or humanity?

Well, in the last few weeks, I've watched Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States (2012),  a series available on Netflix.  Now, I understand.  Maybe Trump's election was inevitable, the logical outgrowth of mindsets and illusions moulded over the decades since FDR.  That possibility saddens me to my core.  I will stop there; viewers need to make up their own mind, without the distraction of someone else's opinion.

So, if you are interested in an additional perspective on American history since World War II, and you have some time, I would highly recommend this series.  Honestly, I couldn't tear myself away.  Now, this is not a feel-good viewing, and binge-watching is probably not possible, never mind a good idea.  Still, the series connected many dots for me.

I also realize this is a strange pre-Christmas post.  But it's where I am this year.




No comments:

Post a Comment